Tuesday 29 November 2011

Hacker In Power

If appealing to a technician's sense of godli-ness won't work in your situation, perhaps it's time to become a god. In a military setting, pre-tending to be a high ranking officer can put fear into the hearts of any lowly receptionist. Just call up, saying either that you are the general, or you're the general's personal secretary.
In either case, both of you are pissed off that your computer isn't starting up the way it should. Demand to know why your account isn't being accepted as valid.

Don't whine or complain just make angry demands. You will get results. In a corporate milieu, pretend to be the CEO or the president, or secretary of a CEO or presi-dent, especially in organizations where it is well known that the leader is a hothead. No one wants to get fired or demoted. The anger routine is useful
because the person who picks up will want to be rid of you as fast as possible, and will do anything to get you off his or her back.

Presidents, leaders, military officers, CEOs and the like, don't have to be angry, however. Just the mention that you are whoever you say you are will work wonders for your credibility (who else would possibly dare to proclaim themselves General So-And-So?). But if you act as a high-up without being angry, make sure you've
done your research beforehand and know what your name is.

This is a sample encounter:
PERSON ON OTHER END: "Good afternoo -
YOU: "THIS IS GENERAL FROBBS. I AM AP-PALLED BY THE CAVALIER WAY IN WHICH THIS PLACE IS BEING RUN! I WENT AWAY FOR TWO DAYS AND WHEN I RETURN I FIND I HAVE BEEN ERASED FROM THE COM-PUTER! WHO'S IN CHARGE OF THESE COMPUTERS? I'M
APPALLED! I DEMAND YOU RESTORE MY ACCOUNT. I HAD MANY IMPORTANT DOCUMENTS SAVED THERE!"

PERSON ON OTHER END: "Did you try typing 'GROUP.1,' 'SEC'? That still works.' YOU: "THAT'S THE DAMNED GROUP CODES! I NEED MY OWN PERSONAL
ACCOUNT BACK! I
AM APPALLED!
PERSON ON OTHER END: 'I'm sorry, I can't help you with your own codes. Would
you like me to find

someone who can?

Notice in this example conversation you have managed to procure a usemame/password combination which, while not too powerful, at least will gain you access. Even if the person on the other end never does manage to find the general's password, at least you've ended up with not just one, but several accesses to the sys-tem. After all, if there's a GROUPA, there must be a GROUP-2, right?